My goal as a freelance editor is to help you make your story the best it can possibly be. I'm passionate about helping other writers, and I love reading and editing stories. I can't guarantee publication - no one can! - but I'm committed to helping you improve your storytelling skills, and giving honest and actionable feedback.
I specialize in short stories for the science fiction/fantasy market.
Why you might consider working with me:
- I'm actively engaged in the speculative fiction community. I'm writing, editing, and submitting stories to publications just like you are, and am deeply familiar with its woes. In other words, I have a lot of empathy for what you're going through!
- I've published stories in markets including Tor.com, Uncanny Magazine, Shimmer, and Nightmare. My stories have been reprinted in The Year's Best Weird Fiction and The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror.
- I've read slush for Interfictions Online (over 100 stories in a month!), so I know what it's like to be on the other end of the slush pile.
- I attended the Clarion Writers Workshop in 2013 and have extensive experience providing critique to stories of all lengths.
Short Story Edit (under 7,500 words): flat fee of $55
- Content edits: I'll send you notes on what's working, what isn't, things that could be clarified, and (if you want) potential suggestions for markets to send it to.
- Basic line edits: I'll go through the story line by line (using Track Edits in MS Word) and suggest sentence revisions. I won't do copy editing per se, but I'll let you know when things are awkward.
- 30-minute discussion: If you want to go through my feedback via phone or messenger, I'm happy to do that.
Got something longer?
I have experience reading novelette, novella and novel manuscripts. If you think I'd be a good fit for your project, I'd be eager to consider it! Please add some details to the contact form below (length, summary of the project, what kind of feedback you're looking for) and I'll be in touch.
In the case of longer stories, I will offer feedback on the first 20% of pages, so that together we can assess if the project will work out.
The rate will vary depending on the project length, but for estimation purposes you can use $0.015/word.
Got something unfinished?
It's a little bit harder to talk through unfinished projects, but if you want to pick my brain about it anyway, I'm happy to give it a try. Most likely we can do a phone or messenger chat to brainstorm your ideas.
Please add some details to the contact form below (projected length, summary of the project, what kind of feedback you're looking for) and I'll be in touch.
1. Do you work with unpublished authors?
2. How do I send payment?
I accept payment through Paypal, Venmo, and Square Cash.
3. How quickly can I expect a response?
I try to respond to all queries within 48 hours.
4. How do I know if we'll work well together?
It's going to be hard to tell until we're in contact, I suppose. You can read my Twitter and/or my stories, but those will both be different than working with me as an editor. Get in touch and we can see if it'll work!